Thursday, April 19, 2012

Look Where My Book Ended Up!

To set the scene, I had taken a 5-day horseback riding trip last week with my husband and my two children to one of our favorite places, Brown County, Indiana. We had the best time and the weather was absolutely perfect! But as any vacation comes to an end, you feel the fatigue of the busy, eventful adventure when you return home.

Though totally exhausted from the long weekend, I came inside to check the massive amount of emails that had hit my inbox while I'd been away. To my surprise, I'd received an email from a friend from Belfast, Ireland about their trip to Inís Mór. Already, I was excited. But included in this wonderful email was a photo of him sitting on the rock wall outside a pub holding my book!

The friend I speak of, is none other than band member John Tracey from Fretwear. If you've read THE FALL OF RAIN, then you should recognize the name of the pub behind him and the picnic tables where Leif and Lorraine, my hero and heroine, ate lunch. (see photo below) For those of you who've not read the book (and shame on you if you haven't), I've also written that the awesome Fretwear played in the pub, Tí Joe Watty's, for the celebration of Leif's birthday. In the scene of the book, John announces to the local pub crawlers that his song, Women Whiskey and Beers, is dedicated to the man of the hour.


All I can say is - WOW! To know that my book had traveled across the ocean to Ireland as a Christmas present last year was more than humbling. But to find out that this man and his girlfriend, Gillian, actually thought enough about me to bring the book with them on their holiday travels and pose with it on the site where my hero spent his days is quite another. There are no words to express my gratitude for what they did for me. Thank you John and Gillian for this larger-than-life moment caught on film. You both are the greatest!

Now, if I can get my own Irish-lovin' arse to Ireland one day!

Oh, and one more note, before I sign off...if you haven't heard the soulful, bluesy acoustic sounds of Fretwear (Kevin Bartlett & John Tracey), do yourself a favor and check them out! You'll be so glad you did. And if you're ever in Ireland, look them up (don't forget to tell them Renee Vincent sent you!)

Sláinte!

31 comments:

Taryn Raye said...

Oh wow, Renee! That is AWESOME to the Nth degree! I bet you're STILL beaming! I would be!

Off to check out Fretwear and that reminds me that I now need to hurry up and finish Mac Liam so I can get to The Fall of Rain. Very cool!

Melissa Landers said...

THAT IS SO FREAKING COOL!!! :-)

Lorie Langdon said...

OMG! Renee, I *dream* of stuff like this happening with Doon! I am so excited for you. Seriously, I would probably pee my pants if someone sent me a picture of my book in Alloway, Scotland.
How amazing that someone cared enough to do this...and not just any someone, but the guy from the band in your book. What are the chances of that?
So cool!

Krista Ames said...

That is so cool Renee! You really need to go visit there. Maybe the pub can put your books out there for you.

Julie said...

What a fantastic story, Renee! It's pretty amazing when fans honour your work in such a special way. So happy for you! :)

Ella Quinn said...

What a great thing to have happen. You really do need to get there now.

Nina Pierce said...

Oh, Renee what a great picture! That is so awesome that they sent that picture to you. One day I'd love to get to Ireland!

Ally Broadfield said...

How exciting! Ireland is magical place to visit and I hope you have the chance to go soon.

Melissa said...

I had a feeling it was going to be something really sweet like that. You meet the neatest people!! Love ya!

Renee Vincent said...

Taryn Thanks for coming by and for tweeting about this post. You are too sweet! Yes, do go check out Fretwear. They are so talented.

Melissa Landers I know! Can you believe it?

Lorie I am so wishing the best for you and Carey with your YA book. From all you've told me about it, it sounds so exciting! And to know it is set in Scotland, even better! Thanks for visiting with me.

Krista Oh trust me, when I do go to Ireland, I will definitely be pushing for them to have the book available there.

Julie I have the BEST fans in the world!

Ella Yes I do! And when I get there, I won't want to leave. haha

Nina I still cannot believe they did this for me. I truly am blessed with great fans. I hope to meet them both in person one day. Thanks for stopping by!

Ally I hope so too! Been dreaming of that day for so long...........

Melissa Wow, thanks for taking the time to comment here. I wasn't expecting it, a phone call -sure. But seeing your smiling pic here has made my day. Thanks for checking out my post. I told you it was so cool!!!
Thanks for lunch yesterday, darlin. I had a great time.

Vonda Sinclair said...

Wow that's really cool, Renee!!

Arianna Skye said...

That's beyond awesome! What great friends!

Renee Vincent said...

Thanks Vonda and Arianna! I have great friends indeed!

Victoria Roberts said...

Renee, that is completely awesome! I know how I would feel if someone did that for me. You must be overjoyed to say the least.

Thanks for sharing!

Gerri Bowen said...

That is so cool Renee!

Renee Vincent said...

Victoria Overjoyed does not come close. I keep looking at that photo and smiling from ear to ear!

Gerri Thanks for checking the pic out!

Paisley Kirkpatrick said...

Well, aren't you the one! This is so fun and how impressive your friends did this. Great photo and I am supposing it will be in a frame on your wall somewhere??? :)

I can't wait to read your wonderful story, I say as I hang my head in shame. I just need to get this fifth story written so I can enjoy reading again. You know I am a big fan.

Madison said...

Two words:

Wow and Wow

If that were me, I think the smile on my face would have to be chipped off.

Ciara said...

That is so amazing. Wow! Something every writer dreams of. :)

Margaret said...

Too cool!

Anonymous said...

Wow, Renee! The only thing missing is you. Congrats.

Pat McDermott said...

So great, Renee. A perfect backdrop for your book!

Renee Vincent said...

Paisley Yes it will be in a frame very soon! And do not feel bad about being unable to finish the series. I know how busy you are with you writing too. We all are. I'm just glad things are going well for you!

Madison Well said! haha

Ciara Indeed! This is going to be one of those awesome writer moments I will never forget!

Margaret Thanks babe!

Pat Thanks so much for saying so. Of course I think the same. I appreciate you stopping by my blog.

Adele Dubois said...

How exciting! You must have a poster made of the picture!

BTW, I have family in Brown County, IN. Their state park is truly beautiful.

Best--Adele

Jennette Marie Powell said...

Way cool! Hopefully you'll get to go see it there yourself some day. :D

Cher Green said...

Very Awesome! Congrats, I'm sure you are very proud and what a promotional photo.

Love the music too!

Best wishes,
Cher Green

Susan Macatee said...

Awesome, Renee! And you really need to go there. Ireland's a beautiful country!

Janice Seagraves said...

Ah, that is so terrific.

Janice~

Molly Daniels said...

How cool is THAT?

Hope you had fun in Brown County:) Did you drink some sassafras tea while you were there? Eat at the Nashville House? Haven't been there since 2010; I need to go back!

Renee Vincent said...

Adele Thank you so much stopping by. And yes I just love that area. It is so gorgeous!!!

Jeanette Someday....I promise! haha

Cher So glad to hear you checked out their music. One of these days I will be sitting in an Irish pub listening to them live instead of on YOUTUBE. Bucket list!

Janice Thanks!

Molly Hmm..no I didn't drink the sassafrass tea - but I had iced tea. And we ate at The Breakfast Place. Those ladies (two friends who opened the joint together) are the nicest I've ever met! Such warm hospitality and the food was DEE-lish!
It sounds like you go there often. The next time I'm there I will have to check out the Nashville House. And then you have to check out Story Inn.

BonSue Brandvik said...

I'll bet he has the book open to the page where Fratwear is playing! This is very cool, and a great demonstration of friendship. Thanks for sharing.